Every Child with the Opportunity to Succeed (PDF 1MB)
Publish Date: 06 April 2016
The DUP’s policy on education.
Every Child with the Opportunity to Succeed” outlines the party’s vision to advance educational opportunity for all.
Education doesn’t just give people the tools to make a good living – it gives young people the character to live a good life and to be good citizens.
As a Party, we believe that this can best be achieved, not by a ‘top down’, one size fits all approach but by allowing open and transparent communication between educators and politicians to create an environment where school governors, principals and teachers are empowered to deliver in accordance with their school’s individual needs.
- Encouraging parity of esteem between vocational and academic subjects
- Provide leadership roles within a school body as well as the wider community.
- Encourage schools to become embedded within the community and work with the community to enhance the profile of education.
- Giving greater autonomy to schools with a fundamental shift from centrally controlled expenditure.
- Place Special Educational Needs schools in the same budgetary position as mainstream schools, ensuring equality across all sectors.
- Give schools the freedom to create more individualised pathways matched to individual needs
- Continue to work towards a system where one sector is not favoured over another, and towards the goal of a single education system.