2010 Westminster Election (PDF 1MB)
Publish Date: 01 January 2010
Manifesto for the Westminster Election 2010
Northern Ireland has made significant progress under the stewardship of the Democratic Unionist Party.Today the DUP is the largest party in the Northern Ireland Executive and could have a key role to play in the establishment of a United Kingdom Government after the General Election.
The platform we outline, as well as demonstrating our policies on a broad range of issues, will clearly form the basis for our priorities in the context of a hung Parliament.
- Building stability and prosperity in Northern Ireland through improved and more efficient local political institutions.
- Directing resources in public services towards preventative and early intervention measures, and frontloading funding for the first few years of life.
- Supporting an innovative wealth creating export orientated economy and campaigning for a reduction in Corporation Tax.
- Maximising funding from Northern Ireland from the Common Agricultural policy and support for the introduction of country of origin labelling.
- Support for the third sector to deliver more services and increased collaboration between Government and the faith sector.
- An increased basic state pension, linked to earning and one week respite guaranteed every three months.
- Winter Fuel payment increased and extended to cancer sufferers.