2001 General Election (PDF 513KB)
Publish Date: 01 January 2001
Manifesto for the Parliamentary and District Council Election 2001
Unionism has paid a heavy price for the UUP endorsement of the Republican Agenda being delivered through the Belfast Agreement.
The weakness, incompetence and poor judgement of the UUP leadership has brought us to the present crisis. This election gives us all an opportunity to stop the rot and start to put things right. In this booklet the DUP programme is set forth.
This manifesto has a significance that the manifestos of other parties do not have. It will be the mandated blueprint to be pursued by my party. Unlike the UUP we do not dump our manifesto as soon as the polls close. You can trust the DUP to keep its pledges.
- Only a vote for the DUP will signal the clear determination of the unionist people for no more concessions to the IRA and no more rewards for IRA/Sinn Fein.
- This is your chance to reject those who have failed the RUC and demand its retention, not destruction.
- The DUP has always championed the farmer’s case and consistently fought for a fair deal for our farmers in Europe, at national level and locally. We believe our farmers are entitled to fair economic rewards.
- The DUP supports a waste management strategy which will substantially reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.
- The DUP is committed to tackling disadvantage and building communities. In the areas of housing, urban regeneration and through partnership with the community and voluntary sector we are determined to bring about improvements to the lives of ordinary people.